Senior Savings

Story By: Maya Ghavidel, Copy Editor

Graduation is, terrifyingly, right around the corner! There are only two more days until we are free from the shackles of AP tests, dress codes, and 7:25 classes. However, in just a few short months, we will most likely be bound to the ever-popular student debt. Some graduates are scrambling to find a job, but a nine-to-five isn’t the only way to earn some extra cash this summer. Here are some ways to help you (yes, you, sitting in your sweatpants on your laptop at home, while surrounded by empty Cheeto bags) boost your bank account over the three-month break.

Virtual Garage Sale

You know that old Facebook account you haven’t used since you were posting selfies of you and your friends holding peace signs up to your face in 6th grade? Time to remember the password for it. While many local communities such as Grand Lakes and Seven Meadows restrict citizens to holding garage sales on certain days, Facebook is an ongoing 24/7/365 marketplace. Search “Katy TX Garage Sale” to find groups and communities where you can sell whatever you have lying around the house. Someone may actually enjoy that Cinderella dress your little sister never wore or the Lego set you haven’t touched in years. Search for retail prices on Amazon so your customers know that you’re offering the best deal possible.

Thrifting

For my OG $ENIOR $AVINGS fans, you’ll know that thrifting is a great way to earn money. I use apps like Depop and Mercari to build online shops full of Goodwill’s hidden gems. I once bought an old pair of distressed Levi’s for $1.25 and sold them for $25! Search for name brands on your thrift trips, and research what sells the most. You never know what you can find! Your local thrift store is really just home to a secret scavenger hunt.

Etsy

Have a knack for making cute keychains or stunning necklaces? Etsy may be a great place to sell your handmade crafts. Granted, it may take a while to build a successful shop. Hard work will definitely pay off in this online bazaar. It’s really fun to see others enjoy and wear the products you spent so long making. When pricing your items, be sure to take into account the price of your materials and how long it took you to make the product.