Ramadan Readiness

Indonesian Muslims pray during the start of the holy month of Ramadan at the Al Akbar Mosque in Surabaya, East Java province, on May 16, 2018. (Lonely Planet, 2018)

Story By: Mareena Emran, Advertising Editor

Every year, the month of Ramadan, or the Islamic month of fasting, is a month where teachers and students fast and perform acts of self consciousness and gratitude. Here are some tips on how to make it easier when fasting, and other pointers on how to keep refreshed inside and out:

Eat Healthy and in Moderation

Ramadan is a month where anything and everything that is eaten is crucial to thirst, hunger, and energy levels. Before Ramadan begins, start portioning how much of each meal eaten, and add some fresh fruits and vegetables to the meals. Foods high in Iron such as spinach and Vitamin C such as citrus fruits can help with creating a balanced diet. Also, overeating should be avoided, as the stomach won’t be able to handle as much food when fasting for 14 hours.

Fast Voluntarily

It’s common to miss a fast or two when Ramadan starts because of laziness and just simply forgetting that Ramadan has started. To prevent this, try fasting a few days in advance to make up for the previous year’s fast. It will also train the body to not starve during a long period of time.

Improve Your Character and Find an Activity

Fasting takes patience and determination, without those two traits, fasting becomes harsher and debilitating. Sometimes, friends and other peers will offer food and drinks and it’s hard not to give in. Instilling some self-restraint and composure will help with staying calm and not reaching for the 12 pack of Oreos lying on the table. Also, try finding an activity that will redirect your attention from food and water to things like journaling, vlogging, or even thrifting.

Regulate Your Sleep

Yeah, it’s true, the month of Ramadan starts right in the middle of APs testing week, but it’s super important to regulate a sleep time table. Sleeping earlier and waking up earlier will give just about enough time to eat breakfast and study in the morning.

Stop with the Starbucks

Caffeine may not be the best option before starting a fast because it may lead to an uneasy stomach and headaches later in the day. To prevent this, gradually start drinking less coffee, if possible, before Ramadan begins. During Ramadan, stick to around a half a cup of coffee, and then continue lessening the portion so the body can wean off the natural brain stimulant. It may take a couple of days to completely stop drinking coffee, but as the body begins intaking less coffee, it will start to take off energy from suhoor (breakfast) instead of caffeine. Avoid also drinking coffee at iftaar (break of fast) as breaking your fast with coffee can lead to your stomach producing gastric acid which will cause damage to the gastric mucosa. If coffee is an absolute must in your diet, opt for drinking coffee around two hours after breaking fast. It will prevent from having stomach indigestion and headaches from occuring.  

Avoid Getting Too Thirsty

It’s important that the body intakes about two litres of water a day (about 90 fl oz), and during Ramadan, it’s difficult to get the daily recommended amount since it can only be consumed during dawn or dusk. To prevent from becoming dehydrated, it’s easy to drink half of the daily recommended amount during suhoor, and then the other half throughout the night. Trying to find ways to prevent from getting thirsty? Yogurt is your best best. Yogurt is almost nearly 80% water and it promotes healthy bacteria to grow in the stomach, which will stop you from feeling thirsty and needing any extra water.