Hope for Women in Uganda

The Feminism Club Hosts the Sewing Hope Fundraising to Help Women in Uganda

Story By: Keke Hua, Staff Writer

Recently, the Feminism Club has begun their Fundraising for Sewing Hope: a project that promotes female identity and aides in empowering women in Uganda.

“Sewing Hope teaches women in Uganda how to make handbags so that they can sell it through an online store,” junior Sarah Shah said. “It also teaches girls about their menstrual cycle and how to get toiletry products.”

By teaching the women how to make the handbags, Sewing Hopes helps them to make their own living without relying on others. It gives them the ability to rely more on themselves and be able to create their own futures.

The Feminism club gives each of its members a jar to collect money in. Although the club didn’t have plans to make posters, the members opted to giving announcements in their classes to raise awareness for both students and teachers. The club has also set up a GoFundMe page for people if they prefer to donate online.

“We are also planning to have a car wash that will draw attention from people other than students at our school,” Shah said.

The Sewing Hope project not only helps raise money for the women in Uganda, but it also teaches and raises awareness of the situation for women in other countries for students. Students learn about the struggles that women face daily and become more accepting of feminism.

“When people think of feminism, they think about the radicals that see women above men,” Shah said. “In the Feminism Club, we try to help those who are struggling in other countries and empower more women all around the globe.”

Sewing Hope is an ongoing project that benefits not only the community by the entire world. Students in the Feminism Club hopes to spread the project around the school and continue to collect money to aid women in Uganda. They hope to teach others about the conditions that the women face daily and give people ways to help those women. Every donation makes a difference. The Feminism CLub hopes to make an impact on the world.