Enough is Enough!

Opinions from students about gun-control and planned school walkouts

Image by Keke Hua.

Image by Keke Hua.

Image by Keke Hua.

Story By: Keke Hua, Staff Writer

In the aftermath of the deadly shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida which left 17 students and staff dead, many survivors and other teenagers rose up to confront the debate about gun violence themselves. They decided to advocate for stricter gun-control laws by administering planned walk-outs for schools all over America.

The planned walk-outs are March 14th, March 24th, and April 20th. The students of Seven Lakes High School speak out about their opinions on the gun-control laws that the government is debating about and the #NationalSchoolWalkout movement. Many arguments have been made about gun-control laws but the most common one is about the age limit.

“There should be laws that are enacted that restrict guns, especially to young people who are not mentally sound,” junior Ida Balakriashna said.

Some students feel that the age limit shouldn’t be the only barrier.

“If there were stricter gun control laws and background checks, I think a lot of mass shootings would be stopped,” junior Sarah Shah said. “No civilian really needs military grade weapons.”

As the debate moves through the government, many teenagers have begun to voice their opinion about the effectiveness of the whole gun-control process. They feel that the government has a bigger obligation to the safety of the younger generation.

“Personally, I feel that the government isn’t doing enough to protect the students especially because shootings like this have happened in the past,” junior Rachel Kim said. “They need to hurry and get some legislation passed so that people can actually feel safe at school.”

Although officials have stated for students to await official decisions, many teenagers in the nation have decided to take matters into their own hands and start the #NationalSchoolWalkout movement in hopes of persuading the government to enact stricter gun control laws.

“I didn’t personally participate and I know our school didn’t really have one, but if it’s the students’ way to voice their opinion then I’ll say go ahead,” Kim said.

However, the planned school walkouts may not prove to be as effective in certain cases. Sometimes, the walkouts may prove to be problematic in school systems.

“I honestly don’t think walkouts are the best solution,” Shah said. “It’s not the school’s fault for the mass shootings that are happening. Additionally, there are some kids who would walk out just because they want to skip class, not because they really believe in the protest.”

Some students also believe that the walkouts will only be effective with a large amount of people.

“It depends on how many people participate,” Balakriashna said. “In our school, I don’t think many people are doing the walkouts.”

With the upcoming dates of the new planned school walkouts, many students across the country are gearing up to walkout once more. They will continue to protest the heavily debated gun control laws until the government agrees to the changes that the people proposed.