Finding the Perfect College

What to Consider When Finding the Perfect College For You

Story By: Laura Fouad, Copy Editor

Unfortunately, there is no magic formula for finding the best college for you, but here are a few tips and ideas to help you in the process of choosing a college:

1. Decide what type of college you want to go to – a 4-year college, private college, community college, etc.
  2. Choose a college that you like the location of (somewhere closer/farther to home or in a nice area). It is a matter of whether you’d want to be able to drive home to your parent’s house when you want to or trying to get as far away from your parents as possible.
    “I fell in love with BYU [Idaho]…the campus is so pretty and I just felt like it was the place I needed to be,” senior Lauren Stansel said.
  3. Talk with your parents about tuition cost and other college expenses (weed out schools that are too expensive or look into scholarships/financial aid). Finding colleges within a budget may seem tedious, but there are many ways to decrease the tuition through scholarships as well as financial aid.
  4. Figure out if you prefer smaller or bigger campuses by taking tours of differently sized campuses. Some people like smaller schools that can provide more one-on-one time opportunities with the professor while others may prefer a larger school with more people surrounding them.
    “[I prefer] bigger colleges because if I’m going to a college that’s the same size as my high school that doesn’t feel like I’m going to college,” senior Taylor Russell said. “Although some people might be worried about there being 50,000 other students, dorms make it so that you can make good friends.”
  5. Is the Student/Faculty ratio (how many students there are per professor) an important factor in your college decision?
  6. Look into the academics of the college and the programs they have for your major.
    “I narrowed [my colleges] down to the best programs for me and picked my top ones,” senior Katie Kampfhenkel said. “I started putting in all of the factors that will help my major (theatre) and I liked the directors [there].”
  7. Find a college with clubs and activities that match your interest. For example, if you want to play football, make sure they have a football team.
  8. Make sure the college you’re interested in has a safe campus and good academic support service to make sure you are happy and healthy.
    “I’m choosing St. Edwards in the future because…they have a really good study abroad program,” senior Elize Berry said.  
  9. You should not only take campus tours but also do research on the college through their website and college comparison websites (ex. niche.com).
  10. Don’t follow your friends or significant other to the college they are going to, even if you made a plan to stay together for college. Ultimately, you need to make a decision that will be the best for your future, not the future of your friend/significant other.

After all of these steps, the most important step would just be to find a college that stands out to you and a place you can see yourself in for the next years of your life. College hunting may be difficult but enjoying your college years as well as excelling in what you love to do it the best outcome for anyone.