Journal

Why Did We Allow 17 Students to Die?

Just before dismissal at 2:30pm on Wednesday, February 14, a fire alarm went off at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.  It wasn’t a typical drill that the students have been practicing all day, instead it was the beginning of how the precious lives of 17 students were taken away by a mentally disturbed individual. This school was known to be in one of the safest cities in Florida but February 14, 2018 was when it all changed.

The gunman, Nicolas Cruz, 19, was armed with an AR-15 rifle and killed 17 victims at his former high school. 17 innocent lives were quickly taken. According to authorities, Mr. Cruz shot individuals in the hallways and in the classrooms. As the shooter strolled through the building, he shot into classrooms where students were hunched in corners and packed into closets. After the shooting finished, students ran out of the school building in panic and fear. While they escaped, the malicious gunman, mixed in with his former classmates to escape the heavily armed police officers. After leaving the school, he strolled to a Walmart and purchased a drink at a Subway, according to authorities.  At 3:41 p.m., Cruz was captured by the police, as he walked down a private road in Coral Springs, only a couple of miles from the school. He was taken to a nearby hospital before being discharged into police custody.

The FBI said on the following Friday that it got a report through an open tipline in January about the shooter, 19-year-old Nicolas Cruz, whom a guest said he showed a “want to kill individuals”, displayed “unpredictable conduct” and engaged in “aggravating online networking posts.” The FBI admitted that it didn’t follow its own investigative strategies after it failed to follow up on a tip about the gunman in the mass shooting. The FBI and the police consistently had reports of him but didn’t look at it as a high-risk threat.

As indicated by authorities, Cruz was expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas Secondary School for disciplinary issues. They didn’t indicate when he was removed or the specifics of his expulsion. He was enrolled in an alternative high school, local reports said.

In the days after the shooting, students and activists have approached their companions around the nation to request activity. This has so far finalized in two arranged occasions: the National School Walkout on March 14th and the March for Our Lives on March 24th. The topic of the two occasions: Enough is enough. Both of the occasions will center around calling Congress to act on gun control.

These students just didn’t stop there. The students of Stoneman Douglas High School took center at the Parkland Town Hall meeting to ask the NRA (National Rifle Association) and Marco Rubio (Senator of Florida) questions on assault weapons and how they plan on stopping them from getting in the hands of children and in schools. Both the senator and the representative seemed to “tip-toed” the questions and didn’t directly answer their demanding questions.

These students are fearless and will not stop at anything until these guns are taken away from the hands of irresponsible human beings. Being a student myself, I agree with everything single thing they are trying to achieve. I’m more than pleased to see my fellow students across the nation fighting to get rid of these monstrous weapons that has been persistently harming us. But what hurts me deeply is the fact that we, so called students, have to fight for this change in our country. We are the “kids,” not the adults, so explain to me why we “kids” have to call for change. Explain why our lawmakers haven’t done anything since Columbine? Why is it that in almost two decades, we have let so many children get killed?

The only people that should have the ability to obtain semi-automatic weapons are the police officers and the military. Guns are harmful weapons and we all know that. They have been getting into more wrong hands than good hands lately and that needs to stop. The less weapons we obtain the less crime rates we will have but since many politicians attain money from the NRA, they will certainly disagree with that. It’s horrible how money can get in the way of innocent lives.