Love Army for Rohingya

Social Media Sensations and Fans Unite to Help Rohingya Refugees

Pictured above, a group of international media stars laughing with Rohingya children and families at a refugee camp in Bangladesh. The group, consisting of 15 artists, went to the refugee camps located in Cox Bazar to help ease some of the burdens of Rohingya Muslims and started a relief project that over 50,000 people donated to in support of the cause.

Story By: Reem Salem, Organizations Director

On Monday, November 27, French entrepreneur and humanitarian Jerome Jarre turned to Twitter for a call to action to help Rohingya Muslims who are currently staying in refugee camps in Bangladesh.

Jerome Jarre, once a celebrity on media platforms like Vine and Snapchat, has switched his efforts from entertaining others to raising awareness and helping those in need. His most recent and ongoing project is focused on helping the Rohingya victims who are facing persecution in Myanmar and fleeing to neighboring countries like Bangladesh. The name of the project is Love Army for Rohingya and it’s the second project he worked on using the term Love Army – the first one was Love Army for Somalia.

Rohingya Muslims are an ethnic minority group who live in the Buddhist majority of Myanmar. However, they are now scattered across Asia due to the country’s hostility against them which has been there since the 1940s. They have been denied citizenship in their own country, denied voting rights, and denied the freedom to leave their area of residence without the government’s permission. More and more Rohingya Muslims are fleeing the country through dangerous methods as the Myanmar military’s efforts to terrorize the minority group became worse. From arson attacks, rape, and murder, the violence carried out against the Rohingya has been described as “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing” by the UN’s High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein.

“It is inhumane that the Rohingya are being forced out of their native country because no one deserves to be persecuted for what they believe in,” senior Lauryn Nobles said. “The same situation has occurred countless times throughout history and it has always been crucial to raise awareness for those being persecuted so they have a chance at standing up for themselves.”

Due to the conflict, more than half a million Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh, creating a refugee crisis in the country. Most camps are lacking basic necessities which pushed Jerome and other influential celebrities to step up and send aid. Their main goal is to raise money to give to the refugees at a camp in Cox Bazar in Bangladesh and work with the local volunteers there “to deliver vital aid to these refugees.” Aside from Jerome, the other main organizers are Sebas, Juanita, Juan, Omar, DJ Snake, Grand JD, John Rachid, Yvick, and Seb. Each of these artists have reached out to their fans on online platforms and asked them to donate what they can on a Gofundme page called Love Army for Rohingya. They also filmed their days on the camp and posted the videos on their accounts to provide the real image of those camps, show some of the stories of the Rohingya people, and encourage others to join the movement.

Since then, many artists, Youtubers, and regular people have stepped in to help, some even traveled to the camp in Bangladesh to do the most they can. Following its launch, the Love Army raised two million dollars, all of which is fully going towards the aid of Rohingya. The money was handed to the families directly so that they can use it on the items they need the most. In addition, a children’s center was created for kids to play, a free clinic was opened, and the broken water wells found in the camp were fixed by both the volunteers and the Rohingya men and children. The Love Army is planning on continuing it’s relief effort to the Rohingya Muslims and are currently working with other organizations such as Friendship and the American Refugee Committee to expand their accomplishments.

“I think this project is really important because it sheds light on the millions of people around the world who are robbed of their right to worship freely,” senior Taylor Montgomery said.  “We live in a varying world where people are short and tall, black and white so different should be accepted; it is important for us as human beings to not let those differences divide us. Funding this program in support of the Rohingya Muslims in Bangladesh and everywhere is how we bridge the gap of disparity.”

If you are interested in helping, here is the link of the Gofundme page:

https://www.gofundme.com/love-army-for-rohingya

If you want to see more updates on the project, here is a thread Jerome Jarre posted on Twitter with videos and pictures from the camp:

https://twitter.com/jeromejarre/status/948365708093730816