The Great Sport Debate

PAYTON VOGEL

PAYTON VOGEL

Story By: Chris LoNigro, Staff Writer

0High school football and their teams, are one of the largest money makers for the school districts that they represent. However, the amount of love and attention these football teams get is unbalanced with other great athletics programs. Schools should treat all of the athletic programs with the same amount of attention that they give football.
In some school districts, there are multiple high schools who all have a football team. Naturally, not every team can have a winning record and make the playoffs every year. However, these same schools might field state level competition of the other sports they offer.

More students would attend these games if they knew about them. If schools did more to advertise for these other sports that sometimes get pushed to the side, then representation wouldn’t be a problem. You don’t see the varsity girl’s volleyball team banners hanging in the rotunda, yet which team went to playoffs?
In addition, some of these football players are also multi-sport athletes. These players have first hand experience with the change in crowd capacity (also due to the fact that the venue is smaller) from football to basketball, wrestling, soccer, baseball, etc.

Many say that since football games are played on Friday and Saturday, that makes it easier and more convenient to attend. While this may be true, other sports also play on the weekend, or they play at a late enough time to allow fans to fill the stands.

Many students that participate in these sports feel disappointed when they look into their stands and only see enough parents to fill one part of the bleacher. They hardly see their friends or their teachers who may have expressed interest in attending, either because they weren’t aware of the event or because their success isn’t popularized in the hallways.

Schools should not only praise their football teams due to the intensity and tradition of football in Texas, but should also praise their other sports just as much because all athletes put in the time and dedication to be great at their sport.