The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

Cheating on the Rise

Story By: Laura Fouad, Ads Manager

Cheating has become the most controversial subject in high school recently. There has been a growth of the amount of cheating happening and the effect it has on students. For many students to succeed in school, they feel they need to cheat. It has become such a norm that when ninth graders come in to high school they see that cheating is accepted among students and thus contributes to the demise of our culture. The students believe somehow that they can’t trust their own intellect. The impact that cheating has on teachers is that they now have to strive to make it impossible for kids to cheat by constantly changing tests and taking away phones.

“My opinion on people who cheat [is] both sadness and anger,” AP Lang teacher Pamela Cannon said. “I need students to start thinking about the value of their intellect, their moral compass.”

Cheating is significantly higher at an AP level. Many students who are in AP classes are in it for the weighted GPA and it does them no good to get a C in that class. They don’t look at the skills they are acquiring and instead, they are looking at what grade they are getting.

“As a teacher, I value my content so much and I am passionate about [it]. I want you guys to maybe not be as equally passionate, but I want you to understand what a great skill you are acquiring and appreciate what goes on in [my] classroom,” Cannon said. “We need to start shifting the attitude [towards cheating] to be in a negative light.”

Success comes in a lot of different shapes and sizes and if a person is sacrificing their academic integrity by cheating, that person has no idea that they are also giving up something very important internally: moral and pride.

Teachers must help in diminishing cheating; they have to assume their tests are out there for students to find and shouldn’t continue to use the same tests year after year.

“I write hundreds of letters of recommendations every year. Those letters of recommendations are about a kids character, not about their grades; I’m making comments about the work ethic and the character of students,” Cannon said.

Students should strive to be successful without cheating and the negative impacts that come with it.