The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

The Next Step for an Athlete

Story By: Trey Vondenstein, Sports Editor

Participating in an extracurricular activity is a very popular path that many high school students decide to take. However, nothing prevents an athlete from being involved in multiple sports; and the Ben if it’s of doing it are remarkable. Multi sport athletes potentially increase their odds of playing at a higher level, as well as it allows them to make the most out of their time in school. As a whole, playing multiple sports can be pretty great.

“I am currently in two school sports, and play club rugby outside of school,” sophomore Darrel Beadle said. “I chose to join more than one sport because I enjoy keeping busy, and I would be bored if I only played one sport.”

Typically, an athlete will decide to play multiple sports in order to benefit their main sport, but there are many different reasons why playing more than one sport would be a viable option. No matter what the reason is, the decision to join a different sport is ideal.

“My mom always encouraged me to do what I wanted to do,” Beadle said. “My favorite part about being in multiple sports is meeting other athletes”.

However, one reason trumps all the others: improving an athlete’s skills and fine tuning abilities for their main sport. There’s nothing against participating in a sport to have fun, but the benefits are far more worth it.

“You acquire different skill sets that you typically wouldn’t have if you played just one sport,” junior Garret Scott said. “Multi sport athletes possess more skill than single sport athletes do. It helps me stay in shape, get faster, and keep up my aggression.”

Participating in multiple sports is a great way to improve overall as an athlete. The amount of sports that are available for anyone to join are massive, and highly suggested. The benefits of playing multiple sports will follow an athlete throughout their entire life.