The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

Sports Injuries

Story By: Lindsey Townsend, Staff Writer

Injuries are crucial to each player’s game/ or individual sport. Staying healthy and keeping your body strong and injury free is the way you want to be. Certain injuries require more assistance than others, ranging from a rolled ankle to a career ending ACL tear or multiple concussions due to hits to the head once too many times. Some injuries can end a player’s career if they are not careful enough and push their bodies past the limit of pain they can tolerate. There are 6 symptoms you should not ignore when wounded:

1. Weakness in your arms and legs
  2. Chest pain
  3. Tenderness and pain in the back of your lower leg
  4. Blood in your urine
  5. Wheezing
  6. Suicidal thoughts

If you begin to have any of the above symptoms then seek medical attention as needed. Players risk the recovery time from their injuries because most of the time they believe that a small pain will go away if working it off or just icing it. Ice can not always fix every injury, everyone has a different pain tolerance. The longer one plays on an wounded injury the longer it takes for the person to recover, so get the injury diagnosed as soon as possible so it will not take as long for you to get back playing the sport you once got to enjoy pain-free again. For example, if you have the symptoms of a concussion such as headaches, dizziness, feeling sick or throwing up, difficulty with coordination or balance, blurred vision, trouble remembering things, feeling dazed or confused do not wait to see a doctor.

“My first concussion was about 3 weeks, then after that my next two got worse,” junior Kaitlyn Vigil said. “Soccer os only gonna last through high school or college, but you need your head for the rest of your life.”

Studies have shown that those who have already had one concussion seem more susceptible to having another. In this case, those who have already been concussed need to be more careful and cautious of events that could damage their brains forever, sometimes leading to a shorter life span and memory loss. Athletes need to be aware of the consequences due to their injuries and acknowledge the pain tolerance of the human body. The risk of a short term injury is better to be taken care of right away instead of putting one’s body at a higher risk of a longer lasting wound sometimes it may even be permanent, thus leading a person to regret not taking better precautions due to the wound. Always play it safe and see a doctor before risking a longer time period to be out than before. Your body’s a temple and each person needs to treat it the best way possible to benefit themselves.