The student news site of Seven Lakes High School

The Torch

History of track and field

Story By: Andrew Gandy, Staff Writer

Throughout  the beginning of time in 776 B.C. in Greece, track and field has been the phenomenon of all sporting events. Track has emerged as the sport of excellence due to the heart and discipline it takes to be great. From the 50 meter dash to the 26.2 marathon track and field has been competitive in all events because everyone has the same competitive spirit to be number one. While running is the main event of the show, however there are other activities to choose from like jumping, throwing, and vaulting events. In fact, there is an event called the Decathlon which consist of jumping events, vaulting, throwing, sprints, and mid distance races. Not many people watch track because it is not regularly televised as other sports such as basketball, baseball, and football. While track is not widely viewed, there are some fans who appreciate the work runners do to achieve greatness.

“I am a fan of Jim Ryun because he works just as hard as most people at a young age to be great,” said Jacob Skillman10 .

This just shows the dedication it takes to no matter what age you are at any athlete can succeed at a high level.  Beyond the Olympics, Collegiate races are the starting point of many new fans getting hyped over seeing racing first hand. The first modern college track meet started in Oxford college in England in 1864. Many visitors watch collegiate races first because it starts earlier than the Olympics and the atmosphere is just as exciting.

“College races bring that excitement because they show the biggest stars of the future Olympians to walk this earth today,” Skillman said.

Track and field has moments of exhilarating feats like breaking record, achieving your personal bests, and passing other opponents at the finish line. This sport is widely respected due to the athletes commitment to give everything you have for the glory of being great.